Last update: April 5, 2025 19:52

Newsroom logo

Ukraine Aims to Create Buffer Zone with Kursk Offensive: Zelensky

By Vusala Abbasova August 20, 2024

None

On the same day as Zelensky’s address, Ukraine struck and damaged a third bridge in the Kursk region.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky disclosed that Ukraine's ongoing military operation in Russia’s Kursk region is part of a broader strategy to create a “buffer zone.” This move is designed to prevent cross-border attacks from Moscow’s forces, marking a significant shift in the dynamics of the war.

In his video address released on Monday, Zelensky provided updates on various fronts, particularly highlighting the situation in Donbas, where Ukrainian forces are facing intense challenges. He pointed out that the Pokrovsk direction remains one of the most difficult areas.

“Today, we achieved good and much-needed results in destroying Russian equipment near Toretsk,” Zelensky said. “And all this is more than just defence for Ukraine, it is now our primary task in defensive operations overall – to destroy as much Russian war potential as possible and conduct maximum counteroffensive actions. This includes creating a buffer zone on the aggressor's territory – our operation in the Kursk region.”

Zelensky also urged Ukraine’s international partners to speed up the delivery of military aid. He emphasized that timely logistics are crucial for maintaining Ukraine’s positions, especially in Donbas, where Russian forces continue to press forward.

“War has no holidays. We need solutions, we need timely logistics of the announced packages. I am especially appealing to the United States, the United Kingdom, and France," he said.

On the same day as Zelensky’s address, Ukraine struck and damaged a third bridge in the Kursk region. This attack is part of a broader effort to expand Ukrainian control within the Russian territory. Two days earlier, Ukrainian forces destroyed the first bridge over the Seym River, followed by a second bridge on Sunday. Ukraine’s air force reported that these actions “deprive the enemy of its logistical capabilities” and “significantly affect the course of hostilities.”

Destroying the bridges over the Seym River could be a crucial step in disrupting supply lines to Russian forces trying to halt the Ukrainian advance in Kursk. Russia’s Investigative Committee confirmed the attack on the bridge along the Seym River on Monday.

Ukraine claims that its forces continue to advance, having seized more than 440 square miles of Russian territory in a surprise assault launched two weeks ago. Ukraine’s incursion into Russia’s Kursk region marks the most significant invasion of Russian territory since World War II. The Ukrainian military reports that they have captured dozens of settlements and taken hundreds of prisoners during this offensive. On the other hand, Russian authorities report that over 120,000 civilians have been evacuated from the border area.

For months before this unexpected offensive, the Kremlin had been pushing for peace talks while holding the upper hand on the battlefield and effectively demanding Ukraine's capitulation. However, following Ukraine's actions in Kursk, Russian presidential aide Yuri Ushakov ruled out negotiations, calling Kyiv’s operation a “gamble.”